Close this search box.

Government Grants Making Energy Efficiency Improvements More Affordable

Let Effective Home help you access a range of government grant funding to improve your home’s energy efficiency. We can help with free grants from a range of Eco schemes including :
Effective staff

How can Effective Home help with Government Grants

Government grant funding for eco home improvements encompasses a range of government-backed schemes which aim to help households improve their home’s energy efficiency, reduce the costs of heating their home, and minimise carbon emissions.

The different schemes include the Energy Company Obligation (ECO), the Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS), and the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS), all of which provide free funding to both homeowners and landlords for energy efficiency improvements.

The bulk of funding comes from the major energy companies, who are obligated to provide funding support for a range of domestic energy-saving measures covering heating and insulation.

While one of the main aims is to help those who are considered to be in fuel poverty, the eligibility criteria vary slightly between the different schemes. It is possible that those who have previously applied but were ineligible, or assumed they would not qualify, may now be able to receive funding, so it’s still worth enquiring. 

Free heating, boiler and insulation upgrades

Effective Home could help you access ECO4, GBIS, or BUS funding for:
Depending on your situation and property, you could get free funding for a heat pump (up to £7,500), a modern energy-efficient boiler, first-time central heating system, or home insulation installed for little or no cost (subject to a free home survey).

If you are on certain benefits or a low income, or your home is in a low Council Tax band and has a low EPC rating, you could qualify for free heating and insulation improvements through free ECO funding.

Check if you qualify

If you don't qualify for ECO funding, take a look at our finance options.

Want some more info? Click below - we can help with finance, including installations with no upfront costs.

Why apply through Effective Home?

We know that upgrading your home to save energy and lower your carbon footprint is a big investment. Depending on your circumstances and home, we may be able to help get a new boiler, central heating, heat pump or home insulation installed for free or part-funded through ECO funding.

If you qualify for funding, we can help make the whole process easier. We’ve been helping homeowners and landlords for over 10 years with access to funding and professional installations.


Receive funding for a new energy efficient heating system


Lower everyday energy usage and bills

023-eco house

Cosier and more comfortable homes


Work carried out by qualified professional installers

023-eco house

Expertise in ECO4, GBIS and BUS funding

Latest Partnerships

van desktop

Government ECO Grants - FAQs

The ECO Scheme is a Government initiative – often called the ‘replacement boiler scheme’ or ‘ECO boiler scheme’ – designed to help low-income households save money on their heating bills. One way it does this is by providing gas boiler grants to replace faulty and inefficient boilers with more energy-efficient ones.

You may also have success with the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, which offers £7,500 towards the replacement of old gas boilers – however, in these cases, you’re much more likely to receive support for an air or ground source heat pump. These do the same thing as boilers in terms of heating your home, but they’re a much greener option.

If you are a homeowner or a private renter (with permission from the landlord) who receives qualifying benefits, you could be entitled to a first-time central heating grant through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO), an initiative that aims to help lower the carbon footprint of homes and heating bills in the UK. Under the scheme, grants are available to help people pay for energy efficiency improvements, such as central heating systems, if your home hasn’t had one before – along with upgrades like home insulation

If you live in a Housing Association home, grants are only available on properties with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of D, E, F or G. If you live in a rented property, grants are only available to rented properties with an EPC rating of E or below – along with the landlord’s permission, which is always required to complete the first time central heating and insulation grant application process. Don’t hesitate to get in touch, we are here to help.